Wednesday, August 17, 2005

The Little Purse That Could

Eager to try out my new sewing machine, I followed a tutorial from Craftster.org from memory and made my very first purse. It's very simple and a little small, but it's cute and blue and holds things, which is really all you could ever hope for in a first ever made-it-myself purse.




Here it is, kindly modeled by my computer chair. It's a little floppy because I was too excited to wait and buy stuff to stabilize it (called interfacing... isn't sewing jargon grand?). And the strap is a little stretchy. I didn't realize that until after I put stuff in it and slung it on my shoulder. And there's nothing closing the top yet, but I'm trying to sew Velcro into it now.


Here's the inside! Future purses will have pockets and zippers, but as I said before, I was too excited and didn't have the patience to mess with zippers and pockets. It's lined with some super pretty fabric I found in the remnant section of Joann's Fabrics. I think it's called batik, and it looks all dyed and Hawaiian-y. I made my first skirt with the rest of that material, which I'll post sometime in the future. It's a little itchy, but I figure that will remedy itself after it's been washed.

And here it is, bravely standing on its own. Yay! (Don't mind the crease down the side, it hasn't been ironed...) It's quite the floppy bag. I think after I get the Velcro to keep it shut, it'll be a nice little bag for light summer adventures. Right now, though, I'm kinda afraid that all my stuff will fall out while I'm being a klutz. I am often a klutz.

This weekend, I'm aiming to make at least 2 skirts, both with zippers! o.O;; Zippers are scary... Other future projects include a messenger bag, a hipslinger (aka fannypack), stuffed animals, and yet more skirts. It's a good thing I'm starting to shave my legs more often, what with all these skirts that need showing off! ;)

No comments: